Moxibustion For Breech Baby
A classical Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) treatment is moxibustion. The theory suggests that acupoint Urinary Bladder 67 is the beginning and ending of all channels in the body. This point is to be stimulated with yang (heat) in order to activate the qi through the body. When the qi is flowing properly and the mother and baby are warm, this supports the baby to turn cephalic (head down). Moxibustion involves burning a herb near the skin called Artemisa vulgaris. It is a safe, gentle and relaxing treatment.
Has shown that acupuncture and moxibustion therapy as a complimentary medicine is beneficial to both mother and baby, and is also cost effective in preventing c-sections. According to the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (201(3), 241-59, 2009) moxibustion is 36% more likely to turn a breech baby to the optimal position for birth than any other form of treatment, including no treatment. This review pooled results from studies published between 1980 and 2007 that looked at ways to turn foetuses that were not well-positioned for head-first birth into that position. The studies compared moxibustion to other ways to encourage the foetus to turn, such as hand-to-belly manoeuvres and having the mother lie with her head lower than her feet
When To Start Acupuncture & Moxibustion
The earlier treatment begins, the more likely we can encourage and support your baby to turn on its own. If you have been confirmed to have a breech baby, get treatment as soon as possible, ideally from 30 to 36 weeks. Having said this, it has been effective as late as 38 to 39 weeks. In these therapeutic treatments we nourish the yang (warming and metabolic) energy of the body to encourage the baby to turn with good circulation of qi and blood in the mother.
What Is Breech Position?
When a baby is in breech position in-utero, the baby’s bottom or feet are in the pelvis. The feet may be along side the bottom (full breech), the legs may be towards the face (Frank breech), or one of both feet may be in the pelvis (footling breech). The optimal presentation is cephalic whereby the crown of the baby’s head is in the mother’s pelvis, chin to chest.
Please Follow This Lifestyle Advice To Support Your Acupuncture & Moxibustion Treatments:
- Avoid eating or drinking anything cold. Nothing straight from the fridge or freezer, no raw vegetables including all salad vegetables and limit yourself to one or two pieces of fruit per day.
- You may find that a heat pack (not too hot) on your lower back may also help, and lie with your hands on your lower belly to encourage baby to move toward the warmth and energy of your hands.
- Relax and delegate! Tight tummy muscles may prevent baby climbing into the correct position. Allow your tummy to soften, loosen your clothes at your waist.
- Use gravity to assist baby rotate in a head down position. Kneel on all fours, lower your head until it is comfortably resting on the floor, lowering your forearms to the ground so that they support you. Do this twice a day for twenty minutes.
- The homeopathic remedy Dulsatilla is said to help turn a breech baby. Consult your homeopath.
- All feedback is appreciated. My mission is to support women enjoy a harmonious and natural conception, pregnancy, delivery and motherhood.
- Have a good heart to heart talk with your baby. Let your baby know that it can turn and will, that you love it so much and are ready to continue this beautiful journey together.
At Femme Vital, expect the best holistic health consultation, coaching, tailored treatment and advice with 12 years experience supporting wellbeing with acupuncture and Chinese herbs.
For in Clinic or Online appointments Book Online or contact us on 03 9005 6730, by appointment only.
Copyright © 2021 Ilana Sowter · All Rights Reserved